In the fall of 1950, the Clunette school house, which had been abandoned ten years previously was offered for sale by the Prairie Township trustee to the highest bidder. Among the group of unsuccessful bidders we find Wallace "Monk" Anglin who had bid next to the purchaser, A. E. Anglin. He was curious and asked Wallace what he would have done with the building had he purchased it. The immediate answer was astounding to A. E., "Why I'd make it a grain elevator." Well A. E. was quick to say that he would make available suitable space, next to the school house to build such a building if he (Wallace) really intended to do just that.
Wallace was a farmer who supplemented
his farming with the purchase and hauling of grain from farmers
to various grain terminals. Wheels began to spin in his head at
the challenge that had been placed before him. His thought was
"I need help." So he confronted brother Dallas with
the situation, who like himself had a son fresh out of high school,
and they wanted to utilize these strong backs while their future
was still undetermined. Dallas was in the automobile business,
but most eager to listen to the possibilities of such a project.
It was then decided by the two collaborators to approach even
a third brother, Jack, who also lived on a farm and owned a milk
route, as to whether he too might be interested . Yes, he was,
and since he had two sons who might some day need seasoning before
their step into the world, he immediately sold his milk route
and started to help with the planning and construction.
In January of 1951 the die was cast. Ground was broken, footing poured, and a structure erected from native timber cut from trees that grew on the farms of Wallace and Dallas. There are many stories to be told about the five long months of hard work which followed this beginning, with the fruit of success to start with the 1951 wheat harvest.
There were many comments to be had from various sources as to whether an elevator could operate without a railroad siding; and, after all, it was four miles to the nearest rail point. But as the farmers began to haul their grain to the new little elevator, they saw huge trucks loading out their grain and transporting it to the Great Lakes terminals one hundred miles or more from the fields in which it had been harvested. Clunette Elevator was in the grain business.
The farmers seemed happy with the grain marketing of their farming operation, but soon began to ask why they couldn't expect to come to the elevator for their grinding and mixing of supplements to make feed for their livestock. The brothers decided to see what could be done about this, but found that such an operation would cost considerable more money than they could hope to raise by themselves. There was but one things to do.
In May of 1952 articles of corporation were drawn and Clunette Elevator Co., Inc., became authorized to sell preferred stock for the purpose of expanding their operation. Farmers of the immediate area responded well and purchased enough stock that within six months an addition was made on the present structure so as to install a corn sheller, hammermill, and mixer.
Clunette Elevator was now in the feed business, custom grinding and mixing feed. In the early 1960's, to expand and diversify, the company added pullet growing, egg production and hog contracting. Turkeys also became a part of the food production inventory. Feed, grain and food production was the largest volume of business at that time, but was soon to change.
The forerunner of today's largest volume of business was a pick-up truck with a mounted tank and spray boom to apply liquid nitrogen and weed killer. In the year of 1970, a liquid fertilizer blending plant was installed and updated liquid application equipment acquired so as to serve the farmers need in custom application of complete liquid fertilizer and weed control chemicals.
By the early 1980's it was evident that egg production and hog contracting was no longer a profitable venture for the small producer so Clunette Elevator liquidated all layer and hog feeding contracts.
In March 1983, Wallace died, Dallas and Jack soon retired and by pre-agreement, the continued family ownership of Clunette Elevator Co., Inc. was passed on to three sons of the founders, Dan Anglin, Tom Anglin and John Anglin, Jr.
Today's business is still buying, selling and storing grain, custom feed grinding and mixing grain, but the change of times in agriculture has created a demand for the largest volume of business today which is seed sales, liquid fertilizer, chemical sales, custom application and service.
The Clunette community has been especially good to the Anglin family and Clunette Elevator. We hope this will continue as long as there is a need.
Wallace "Monk" Anglin co-founder of Clunette
Elevator, a farmer and trucker, was involved with grain merchandising
along with co-managing. Monk served four years on the board of
directors of the Indiana Grain and feed Association. Monk and
his wife, Enid have three children, Dan, Connie Jordan and Sue
Shively. Monk is deceased and Enid lives west of Warsaw near daughter,
Dallas, "Dal" Anglin, co-founder of Clunette Elevator was in the automobile and machinery sales business. Dal's main function as a partner was to purchase and maintain equipment and operated the first custom spray unit, a ¾ ton jeep truck with tank and boom, infield application of 28% liquid nitrogen with weed killer, as well as co-managed. Dal and his wife Doris have six children, Tom, Nancy Dalton, Linda Kistler, Aimee Ross, Becky Carlin and Martha Viergiver. Dal and Doris live in Sarasota, Florida.
(Note, since the writing of this, Doris Anglin has passed away.)
John H. "Jack" Anglin, co-founder of Clunette Elevator was owner-operator of a milk route and small farm. He served as the Sales and Service Representative and managed the pullet growing and egg production units until son Neal was discharged from the U.S. Air Force in 1971. Neal then took over the responsibility of the poultry department. Jack served on the board of directors of the Indiana Grain and Feed Association for four years and then as chairman of the board for the year 1986. Jack is a World War II veteran. He and his wife Bette have four children, John Jr., Beth Cooper, Neal, and Sarah Payton. Jack and Bette reside two miles west of Clunette on county road 600 west.
from Clunette Elevator 1951-2001 50th Anniversary, pages 2 & 3 with permission.